Research Interest: Population Genomics and Biogeography
MIAO Lin was an experienced laboratory technician before he began his graduate study, especially proficient at producing transgenic mice at NIBS. Driven by an interest towards nature and wildlife, he decided to explore a research path during his Ph.D. working on free-ranging instead of lab animals. His current research is concerning population genomics and biogeography of Southeast Asian mammalian species.
- Miao L, Luo S-J (in prep). Phylogeography and evolutionary history of the leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) inferred from population genomics.
- Miao L, Zhang Y, Helgen KM, Uphyrkina O, Martelli P, Chin S-C, Lorica RP, Oliver WLR, Yu L, Zhang Y-P, Min M-S, Yi X-L, Smith JLD, Johnson WE, O'Brien SJ, Luo S-J (under review). Multi-locus genealogies reveal species and subspecies boundaries in the leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis).
- Miao L*, Zhang T-T*, Malcolm KD, Uphyrkina O, Zhuang Y, Li S, Liu F, Wang D, Zhu X, Klinsawat W, McShea WJ, Luo S-J (in prep). A non-invasive sampling-based study illuminates phylogeography and taxonomy of Asiatic black bears. (*equal contributions)
- Xu X, Sun X, Hu X-S, Zhuang Y, Liu Y-C, Meng H, Miao L, Yu H, Luo S-J (2016). Whole genome sequencing identifies a missense mutation in HES7 associated with short tails in Asian domestic cats. Scientific Reports 6: 31583.
- Malcolm KD, McShea WJ, Garshelis DL, Luo SJ, Van Deelen TR, Liu F, Li S, Miao L, Wang D, Brown JL (2014). Increased stress in Asiatic black bears relates to food limitation, crop raiding, and foraging beyond nature reserve boundaries in China. Global Ecology and Conservation 2: 267-276.
- Miao L, Luo SJ (2014). Diversification of Southeast Asian mammals during the Quaternary glaciation: insights from the genomic era. Biodiversity Science 22(1): 40-50. [Invited Review, in Chinese]
- Luo SJ, Zhang Y, Johnson WE, Miao L, Martelli P, Antunes A, Smith JLD, O’Brien SJ (2014). Sympatric Asian felid phylogeography reveals a major Indochinese-Sundaic divergence. Molecular Ecology 23(8): 2072-2092.
- Zhao H, Zhao YG, Wang X, Xu L, Miao L, Feng D, Chen Q, Kovács AL, Fan D, and Zhang H (2013). Mice deficient in Epg5 exhibit selective neuronal vulnerability to degeneration. The Journal of Cell Biology 200: 731-41.
- Xu X, Dong GX, Hu XS, Miao L, Zhang XL, Yang HD, Zhang TY, Zou ZT, Zhang TT, Zhuang Y, Bhak J, Cho YS, Dai WT, Jiang TJ, Xie C, Li RQ*, Luo SJ *(2013). The genetic basis of white tigers. Current Biology 23(11): 1031-1035.
- Zhao YG, Zhao H, Miao L, Wang L, Sun F, and Zhang H (2012). The p53-induced gene Ei24 is an essential component of the basal autophagy pathway. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 287, 42053-42063.
- He S, Wang L, Miao L, Wang T, Du F, Zhao L, and Wang X (2009). Receptor interacting protein kinase-3 determines cellular necrotic response to TNF-alpha. Cell 137, 1100-1111.